Wednesday, May 6, 2009

J.J. Abrams tells "Trek purists" to hit the stars

From IMDB.com:

"While the new Star Trek movie is receiving mostly approving reviews from film critics, director J.J. Abrams is apparently bracing for an onslaught of criticism from those he calls 'Star Trek purists.' In an interview with Australia's AAP wire service, Abrams has this advice for them: 'Don't waste your time.' He indicated that he has already heard from some who were particularly critical of the fact that he did not find a slot for William Shatner, the original Capt. Kirk, in the movie. 'For them I say, 'Don't see the movie. You'll just get angry. It is not Shatner playing Kirk, so I do apologize.' And actor Chris Pine, who plays Kirk in the new film, indicated that he went out of his way to avoid watching Shatner movie and TV appearances. 'I know how I work and by watching a lot of Mr. Shatner's performances as Captain Kirk I knew by osmosis I would get on set and try and impersonate Mr. Shatner,' he said. 'It was not my job. I didn't want people to start paying attention to whether I was doing a perfect William Shatner.'"

I was hoping to get the "hit the stars" to mean "hit the road" as in "hit the road, Jack". I'd like to see Chris Pine on some talk show or maybe even Saturday Night Live and have him do the spoken-word version of Elton John's "Rocket Man" as Shatner did before him. Or even the "Get a Life" skit.

No comments:

Post a Comment