Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I "Might" Be Back? Schwarzengger on TERMINATOR SALVATION

From ComingSoon.net:

SPOILERS
The Los Angeles Times reports that Arnold Schwarzenegger discussed his possible cameo in Terminator Salvation during a webcast interview on Tuesday.

Schwarzenegger told blogger Bill Bradley that he had met with director McG and agreed to be in the movie as long as he didn't have to perform. "I made it very clear that I don't have the time to do the movie," he said. "I said that I would be willing to be in the movie if they get the technology together, and so they are working on that right now."

Spoiler alert! Schwarzenegger would be in a brief scene in which John Connor (Christian Bale) encounters him as a "future Terminator," the governor said, adding, "I think it's cool to continue on with the franchise... in case I want to jump over again and get into the acting after I'm through here."

More from AintItCool.com -
"I think McG's Terminator is looking pretty good... that last trailer was fantastic and I hope all the trailers and bits of footage I've seen are indicative of the whole and we get a cool, fun kick-ass movie. Now, the fact that it's PG-13 doesn't float my boat. I this trend of taking - franchises and PG-13ing them... Die Hard, Predator, Alien, now Terminator.

But that said, if it's a good movie then it's a good movie, doesn't matter what the rating is. And I love the idea of computer technology being there to give 1984's Arnold Schwarzenegger a cameo here. I think it could be done to rather cool effect as a glimpse here, a nod of what's to come. As long as they don't winky-winky at the audience too much, we'll be fine. I'm far more concerned about this talk about giving Kyle Reese a reason for wearing his '80s Nikes (how about that's what he found when he time traveled back to 1984? Hrmm?) than giving Schwarzenegger some screen time.

Anyway, Arnold did a twitter Q&A with his followers (his account is @schwarzenegger) and was asked about his appearance in T:S. This is what he had to say, which gives a context for what his cameo would be if it indeed comes to pass.

Here's the Governor:

'Right now, they're looking at the technology and see if it is possible to create a technology where they can use my image in the film without me actually filming, because I made it clear I don't have the time... and if they shoot outside the state, I would not participate... But I would be willing to be in the movie if they get the technology together. We have a great relationship with the people making the movie.. McG is the director, he's a terrific talented guy. I'm going to be at the premiere, I told him I want to be as supportive as possible.

I think that within the next week or so, we will see if they are technologically able to do that. It's terrific because they basically take technology out of Terminator 1 and use that walk of mine, and somehow bring it in... it's just a brief scene, where we see one of the leads run into a room and he sees the future terminators because it's kind of a prequel... then he gets thrown around, then he goes in another room and there's other terminators, so there's supposed to be all these new terminators. I think it's cool to continue on with the franchise, and in case I want to jump over again and get into the acting when we're through here.'"

UPDATE:

From AintItCool.com:
"Variety now has all the answers for us, via a very brief article which explains McG & Arnold's unwillingness to comment too conclusively on the matter until now. In short - no one knew where or not adding a CGI Arnold into the movie could be pulled off convincingly, and only recently has Schwarzenegger given final consent for his likeness to be used. Meaning: he will be in the film. Turns out Schwarzenegger has been secretly working with helmer McG and the effects team to reprise his signature role ... without lifting a finger. A body-cast mold of Schwarzenegger, created when he first appeared as the muscle-ripped cyborg, provided the basis for a digital-effects version of his famous character. The figure appears in Terminator Salvation as a living, breathing actor. Schwarzenegger viewed the resulting footage and gave his go-ahead just in time for McG to include the footage before the helmer completes his cut of the movie. Warners first screens the pic in early May and opens it May 21."

Good to see Arnold back in theaters even though for a little while.

UPDATE #2: Saw the movie. It's really, really good!

for those of you wanting a sneak peek at Arnold in the new film - here's a TV Spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2320yqtkU-o

No comments:

Post a Comment