"Last month, it was reported that John August was in talks with Dreamworks to pen a big screen adaptation of the Monsterpocalypse board game which has been described as 'part strategy, part Kaiju Big Battel, and part Rampage!, all played out with miniatures on a tabletop'. At the time, it was speculated that the involvement of Burton’s regular collaborator might mean that Tim Burton was developing the project to direct. We now have a confirmation and more information on the project.
* John August is writing the screenplay right now, consulting with the game’s creator Matt Wilson (who is also a co-producer)
* Tim Burton is developing the project to direct
* Being developed as a 3D movie
* It could hit theaters by the end of 2012
* Will not feature other properties like Voltron
* The plot involves giant monsters who attack earth. After the humans fight back, the monsters retreat, but it is quickly discovered that they didn’t leave, but instead burrowed underground and are sending some sort of signal into space. The humans prepare for a possible future attach and developed giant robots that will fight the monsters if and when they return.
* Most of the movie is going to be during that battle between the giant robots and the giant monsters.
* Tim Burton is developing the look for the monsters with Ken Ralston, four time Academy Award winner who has been involved with the visual effects on films such as Forrest Gump, Death Becomes Her, Back to the Future series, Who Framed Roger Rabbit... Star Wars trilogy
* The monsters and robots are each the size of a very tall building.
* The robots are controlled by a crew inside of each one of these robots, and we’ll be seeing the battles from the inside of the bridge and the outside."
Cool. Looks like Tim Burton is going back to doing a movie like Mars Attacks!. Could we see an all-star cast that rivals those of Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Pierce Brosnan, Annette Bening, Danny DeVito, Martin Short, Michael J. Fox, Natalie Portman, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tom Jones, Christina Applegate and Jack Black? And maybe (for once) not even Johnny Depp?